HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

SHARING STORIES

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: SHARING STORIES   Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:52 am

Members are encouraged to share stories of gliders who have experienced self mutilation so that others can learn from it and take comfort that they are not alone in this experience. Please share with us anecdotal information that is useful for owners or veterinarians, including:

* Symptoms you first noticed
* Tests vet ran to come to this diagnosis
* The treatment prescribed by vet
* Aftercare provided by yourself (include any help you received from community members if you like)
* Recovery information or notes that might be helpful to others
* The results of treatment.

Photos are encouraged IF they help to teach or provide examples.

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
~*~ Val ~*~
Passionate = one step down from crazy

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures - Thornton Wilder

We are what we are, no matter what we might wish to be, or pretend to be. - Dean Koontz in The Face

My favorite color is orange - I'm the normal one.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Wiseenough

PostSubject: Re: SHARING STORIES   Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Hello val, its me anthony and im sharing my ongoing experience with my lil buddy Stitch. i just got stitch about two weeks ago. one day stitch was practicing jumping and he missed his mark and hit the floor. he scurried away for what i assumed was shock. after a while i noticed his tail was bent rather than straight. i didnt think much of it at the time ( i assumed he always had the bend but i just then noticed it..big mistake). before long stitch began excessivly grooming his tail at the wound site and removing all his hair. then he stopped fussing with that particular spot altogether and began grooming and then harming his tail about an inch away from the initial site. i took him to the vet after reading up on self-mutilation. the vet wasnt particularly experienced with suggies but i valued his imput. he prescribed anitbiotics and butorphenol (painkillers). as suggested by val i switched to metacam (still seeing if it has a better effect the the butorphenol).
since he stopped fussing with the initial wound im assuming t was only the trigger brought on by stress. today i bought stitch a much larger cage and new toys for him to have more fun and be less stressed (i hope). now i'll wait and see if these changes have any effect on his behavior.

as much as it pains me i cant watch stitch all day long, and the shot style e-collar i made isnt as functional as id like. i asked karen to mail me a snap style ecollar. if stitch doesnt change soon ill have to put on the ecollar once it comes in. i hope he doesnt hate me for putting him in an ecollar, but its for his own good.
Back to top Go down
Wiseenough

PostSubject: Re: SHARING STORIES   Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:06 pm

but the thing is the whole ordeal has left stitch scared of me for trying to put on an ecollar and repeadedly taking him to the scary vet etc...
and its disheartening to see him so scared of me this early into our relationship... *sigh*
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: SHARING STORIES   Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:39 pm

He'll come around for you, I promise. 5 days after I got my first gliders, Lan was self mutilating his tail & had to have it amputated - poor guy did not like the vet or staying away from his family or all the meds I was giving him. 4 months later he SM'd after his neuter (the ecollar I brought to the vet didn't fit and he tore himself open on the way home from the vet). He had to be in an ecollar and was away from his family for nearly a month while he healed. I am happy to report, that 3 years later (no, it didn't take that long - probably shortly after he healed, actually) he is a sweetheart and loves me very much. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Wiseenough

PostSubject: Re: SHARING STORIES   Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:56 pm

ok, so he's stopped hurting himself as far as i can tell. his tail doesnt have any more wounds on it but he's switched to EXCESSIVELY grooming his tail resulting in ALOT of hair loss. i hope its not from boredom, anybody have any ideas as to what i can do about this? im so relieved he's stopped hurting himself but i dont want this grooming to become a relapse.
Back to top Go down
jen102375

PostSubject: Re: SHARING STORIES   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:28 am

I got a boy who came to me with 5 breaks in his tail. He had no hair in the spots from over grooming and small open sores. I took him to the vet and we did pain management with pain meds. I never had him in an e-collar are you sure the e-collar is nessesary? My baby is named monkey it has taken over 3 months for his hair to grow back but he is doing great. We only needed the pain meds for 1 1/2 weeks.

Before

Monkey's tail today all healed

Back to top Go down
http://www.thegliderboutique.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SHARING STORIES   

Back to top Go down

SHARING STORIES
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sweet Spot :: MEDICAL ISSUES & PHYSICAL HEALTH :: Self Mutilation-
Jump to: