The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

osteocarcinoma (bone cancer) in the jaw

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ninomom

osteocarcinoma (bone cancer) in the jaw Empty
PostSubject: osteocarcinoma (bone cancer) in the jaw   osteocarcinoma (bone cancer) in the jaw Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Our little boy got diagnosed with osteocarcinoma this week and I'm looking for more information on what to do so I can figure out next steps.

A couple days before I took him into the vet, he started developing a lump in his jaw. It looked a lot like some of the lumps I saw in the dental section of the forum - lower cheek. Made him look a little like a chipmunk on one side. When you feel his cheek it runs along the lower jawline. I (stupidly) didn't notice the lump until he bit it and was bleeding one morning. It was also infected so he's on an antibiotic (amox). Now, that it's been a few days and the infection & swelling has gone down, you can see the lump. Also prescribed some pain meds for comfort, which I picked up yesterday as he was pressing & rubbing his face on things. (Haven't given him any pain meds yet as the rubbing seems to have stopped. Wondering if perhaps it was itchy from the infection & that has gotten better now that he's had a few days of antibiotic.)

Our vet took an x-ray & sample. His jaw in the x-ray looks fine, the mass appears to be in the soft tissue around it. But the test came back with the sample being osteocarcinoma.

Behavior-wise, he's being a trooper. He was out and playing yesterday afternoon and eating decently the last couple days. He's been sleeping a lot today but that's probably me & my husband's fault for constantly checking on him the last couple days (aka. "poking the baby" to make sure he's still alive). I'm now nervously awaiting him to wake up for evening playtime to see if he's his usual energetic self tonight. Who would think it would be so difficult to just leave him alone and let him sleep?

Has anyone been through this? What did you do to treat this? Our vet suggested radiation to help knock down the size of the tumor. Any experience with radiation treatments?

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: osteocarcinoma (bone cancer) in the jaw   osteocarcinoma (bone cancer) in the jaw Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 10:46 pm

I do not have personal experience with this type of cancer. I do know that there are some people who do have experience with radiation. I'm sorry I can't help you there either, as I don't know that I would make that choice for my glider. I do have one with a mass that we are awaiting test results on, but that does not help you now.

I think this is one of those things that you have to really weigh the pros and cons of aggressive treatment and make that decision for yourself.

I would LOVE to have a look at your test results and have you provide some information to the SUGAR Group for our research. Would you be interested in participating?
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
ninomom

PostSubject: Re: osteocarcinoma (bone cancer) in the jaw   osteocarcinoma (bone cancer) in the jaw Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 1:00 am

Thanks for the response. Radiation sounded fairly minimal in side effects, but I definitely would love to talk to someone who has done radiation treatment on a glider. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of information about it online. I'm going to call my previous vet (of course this happens right after we move, though our new vet is pretty wonderful) and see what he thinks as well.

Yes, I'd be happy to help in any glider research. Anything for these little guys! Nino is 13 and this is the first incident of any facial abscess (we've been together since he was a baby).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: osteocarcinoma (bone cancer) in the jaw   osteocarcinoma (bone cancer) in the jaw Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

osteocarcinoma (bone cancer) in the jaw
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sweet Spot :: MEDICAL ISSUES & PHYSICAL HEALTH :: Cancer/ Tumors-
Jump to: