INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Do you do all of these things at the same time? Or different times? If so, why?

I do them all at once. Weigh the pouch, clip a gliders nails, set him free in the cage. Weigh the pouch again, repeat as necessary. By subtracting, I get the weights. Plus, I can see the gliders, as it's daytime, and no where for them to hide while I have their pouches.

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
Shawna--momma to lots of fur-kids, 2 skin-kids and a beautiful grandbaby! Plant your hope with good seeds, don't cover yourself with thistle and wees--Mumford and Sons--Thistle and Weeds

Shapes on a Page, my next movie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
culookn

PostSubject: Re: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:16 am

I do all at once, also.

And never in or during tent time because I don't want them to associate tent/playtime as oh, NO her she comes again.

I sometimes clip nails in my lap then weigh each one.

But I also (have more light) in the kitchen, take one out one at a time of the pouch (all 4 are in the pouchsleeping) clip nails giving mealies or itty bits of whole wheat bread crust (they LOVE it) then after I clip one gliders nail I weigh him/her then they go back willingly back into the pouch.

Then I place pouch & all back into the cage.

It works for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:23 am

I do not do them all at the same time.
Every glider here gets a visual inspection/exam twice daily (minimum). Morning and afternoon/evening (depending on the day).

I do nail clipping on a schedule. (gotta do Cinnamon, Toast and Diesel's today)
I weigh once each quarter unless there is a concern and then I weigh that glider(s) weekly. I only weigh quarterly because we go to the vet so often that some gliders get weighed a LOT. The others, I'm not at all worried about, so I weigh to ensure we are staying within their normal range.

~*~ Val ~*~
Passionate = one step down from crazy

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures - Thornton Wilder

We are what we are, no matter what we might wish to be, or pretend to be. - Dean Koontz in The Face

My favorite color is orange - I'm the normal one.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
culookn

PostSubject: Re: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:34 am

Yeah you'd have to with all the sick\injured gliders that you have.

I must correct myself. They do not get weigh every single time but I do try very hard to do it at least every month or so.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:27 am

Nail get done as needed. When they stick into my skin or I end up looking like I have chicken pox they get done. I use my own trim tracks in the wheels and honestly I do not have to do them a lot.
Weights get done every couple months unless I detect a problem. Then they get checked daily at the same time each day.
Visual's get done every morning and night. If there is a commotion in the cage then they get checked again. I also walk though the glider room just before leaving for work to be sure everything looks normal.
Back to top Go down
DCMuffin
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:15 pm

I typically weigh mine once every two weeks and I do it in the mornings when everyone comes out for mealies. I trim nails as needed but no set time and not coordinated with anything else. I simply do it when I have time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jumpinmonkey.webs.com
BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm with Brenda. We're a more free flowin' family here. LOL As needed basis. Though one of my gliders needs her nails cut about every week and a half or so. She never has been a wheel user. (trim tracks)
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:07 pm

After reading Val's post, I realized I might have been misleading in mine. I look over all of my gliders every day. Just much more thoroughly when clipping nails and weighing, etc... I love nail time, it's serious loving time.

Shawna--momma to lots of fur-kids, 2 skin-kids and a beautiful grandbaby! Plant your hope with good seeds, don't cover yourself with thistle and wees--Mumford and Sons--Thistle and Weeds

Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:45 am

Shawna you may come here and do nails anytime since you love it that much OK.
PS: Most of my gliders are fine if you use bribery but there are a few who like it to be very Colorful,as in the color's of these letters.
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:28 pm

YIKES! LOL I use that time to just love, and love on the babies. I hardly ever get bit anymore. But, it does take me hours to do even a couple of cages, I do one foot at a time, treats, love, treats, foot, treats, love, treats... you get the picture. The gliders just love it. I use the pouch to hold their little faces away from my hands.

Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:33 pm

I do what Shawna does. Of course, mine get a visual look-over at least once a day, but even more so when I clip nails and that is also when I weigh them. It used to be my routine to weigh when I clip nails and then I slacked and didn't weigh them for months and my tubbies lost so much weight and I am definitely going back to my original routine. I even have a little notebook that I keep track of their weights in - couldn't find it last time, so I started a new notebook, but will find the old one when I get a chance and add the current weights to that so I have them all in one place.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam   

Back to top Go down

Nail trimming, weighing and visual exam
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1