The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Water/juice mixes in water bottle

Go down 
+2
Something_To_Believe_In
Yeshua_my_Messiah
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Yeshua_my_Messiah

Yeshua_my_Messiah

Water/juice mixes in water bottle Empty
PostSubject: Water/juice mixes in water bottle   Water/juice mixes in water bottle Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Okay, what about an apple juice/water mix for when you are training new gliders to understand where the bottle is located, and for babies who are getting established in their new homes?
I was told from someone who experienced an issue where the glider did not know where the bottle was when she first got a rescue glider. She said the glider almost died before she realized it did not understand where to locate it's water.
Please forgive me for asking, should this be a silly question. I am new to this and learning beforehand, should we adopt. I am working my way through your site and have not yet found everything I need to uncover.
Bless you!
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Water/juice mixes in water bottle   Water/juice mixes in water bottle Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Again, not at all necessary.

Apple juice in the water bottle is screaming for bacterial growth.

If the glider does not know how to drink from a water bottle or where the water bottle is, then don't use a bottle. Use a bird silo or a small water dish/bowl. There is no requirement that gliders use water bottles.
You can place a small dish of water under the water bottle spout to teach where the water bottle is.

I have had hundreds of gliders come through my home and none of them have ever had an issue locating the water bottle. Some don't know how to use one, but they all know where it is. If they don't know how to use it, I give them a silo instead. I like the silos better nowadays anyway.

In short - no need to load a glider's primary water source with sugar/fructose. That is advice frequently given by mill breeders and brokers.

No question is a silly question. Water/juice mixes in water bottle 288672 And WELCOME to TSS!
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Water/juice mixes in water bottle   Water/juice mixes in water bottle Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Water/juice mixes in water bottle   Water/juice mixes in water bottle Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 10:10 pm

I would almost think it would be a cause for concern if a glider almost died from not being able to find a water bottle. Trying to find one that isn't there is one thing. Not finding one that IS there seems very unlikely. They get lots of their water from fresh fruits and vegetables too. If they were truly dying of thirst, seems they'd find the water bottle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
Yeshua_my_Messiah

Yeshua_my_Messiah

PostSubject: Re: Water/juice mixes in water bottle   Water/juice mixes in water bottle Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 11:46 pm

Thank you so much for your helpful advice. I wanted to add that this woman also said this little glider is still having medical issues, but said it is getting stronger.
After having read on this subject, I realize I was speaking to an owner with little expertize. You are correct in the fact mill breeders will give that same advice. Could this be because they know how poorly they have treated each baby and how fragile they are at the very young age they are when they cross this country to peddle them off upon poor unsuspecting owners who truly have not got the education to know better?
I heard today that traders Village, in Fort Worth area has breeders doing this very thing. heart breaking!
Back to top Go down
BindiAndScrubbie

BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: Water/juice mixes in water bottle   Water/juice mixes in water bottle Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 12:14 am

I use two water silos in my cage. I really like them. I went through about 3 ball tip bottles, they all broke. You don't have to worry about the silo. I just place them up top so there is less chance for urine or feces to get into the trough. ;)
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
USMom
Associate
USMom

PostSubject: Re: Water/juice mixes in water bottle   Water/juice mixes in water bottle Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 8:21 pm

I prefer water bowls. It takes diligence, and sometimes daily cleaning. But they are my preference.

On occasion I give juice as a treat, but that goes in a treat bowl and comes out the next day. Juice isn't the most horrible thing to give to gliders, but it's not an everyday thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water/juice mixes in water bottle   Water/juice mixes in water bottle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Water/juice mixes in water bottle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Sweet Spot :: MEDICAL ISSUES & PHYSICAL HEALTH :: Other Health & Medical Issues-
Jump to: