The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ill little girl with lots of problems

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
snickmini29

snickmini29

ill little girl with lots of problems Empty
PostSubject: ill little girl with lots of problems   ill little girl with lots of problems Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 7:04 pm

My little girl Snickers is very ill, she is 9 years old. We recently went to the vet bc (exotic of course who has experience with gliders), I knew she was in trouble as she started not acting herself. She was showing signs of hair loss, drooping tale and ears, a tiny amount of weight loss (even though she is eating), all quickly, then she started to drag her back leg so we went right to the vet.

Diagnosis was thinking maybe HLP but it wasn't, to me its worse.

She has:
~A mass in her abdomen appearing to be an enlarged gall bladder that is raising her pancreatic levels, the infection is spreading
~She has an enlarged heart,a murmur, and a mass in her aorta near her liver. They think are 2nd to infection
~Her back legs are weak likely due to the possible blood clot that broke free and is lodged in her leg vein
~She has a mammary tumor or abcess

We have 4 medications that she is getting 2 times a day, and are heading back to the vet on Wed, to find out if she will be strong enough for surgery. They want to remove the mass inside her pouch and then close her pouch completely.

Because of the infection we were not going to do it right then, so accessing for possibility of surgery then. It will be really high risk bc of this and the heart condition. I still haven't decided and have alot of questions to as the Vet on Wed about possible surgery.

She is my baby and I have been so sad for a week, the vet reassured me there is nothing I could have done to prevent any of this, and that I did what I needed to do, but I still feel horrible I didnt feel the mass in pouch, because I don't push on her stomach

I recommend you giving your gliders in hope to help someone else, to have your vet show you how to give a short overall look to check for internal masses.

I love my snickers, she has brought me so much joy, and I don't want to lose her.
Back to top Go down
snickmini29

snickmini29

PostSubject: Re: ill little girl with lots of problems   ill little girl with lots of problems Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 7:31 pm

I will also post in the 'sharing stories' with all of her medical info, procedures, and meds. I am so worried about my sweet girl :(
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: ill little girl with lots of problems   ill little girl with lots of problems Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 8:06 pm

*hugs* Good luck!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: ill little girl with lots of problems   ill little girl with lots of problems Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 8:16 pm

Quote :
She is my baby and I have been so sad for a week, the vet reassured me there is nothing I could have done to prevent any of this
This is true. You could not have prevented any of this.

However, you can prevent any future suffering.
I do not wish to sound insensitive, but I do want to be sure that you have the information you need to make an informed decision.

*Are you aware of the statistics on survival of gliders who have abdominal surgeries?
*Are you aware of the statistics of survival with metatstatic cancers?
*Have you considered doing a needle biopsy prior to doing any surgery?
*Are you aware of the risks of performing surgery where there is an active infection?
*Have you considered the risks if surgery is delayed or put off all together vs. the risks if you DO the surgery with a heart condition.
*Are you aware of the statistics regarding leading causes of death in sugar gliders?
*Are you aware of the risks of using pain medications to control pain for a lengthy period? This would be necessary following a surgery of this type
*Are you aware of other options for controlling pain after surgery if it is needed?
*Have you considered the QUALITY of her life if you are to move forward with all these medications and surgeries and such?
*Are you aware of the impact that such medications have upon the sugar glider liver (and thus, the gall bladder) as well as the statistics about liver disease in cause of death for sugar gliders?
*And finally - are you aware of opportunities to participate in research (whenever the time comes) so that other gliders may benefit from our increased knowledge gained from your baby? This is sometimes comforting to people - to know that they have done some good in the midst of their grief. This is the only reason I mention it now.

These are just a few of the issues that *I* would be thinking about if it were MY glider in this position. It is a lot to take in at one time, but we are charged with making decisions that are best for those in our care. It is best that you are armed with all of this information, so I just want to make sure that is the case.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. How did your vet find all of these problems? Which tests were performed?
Does Snickers live alone?

We are all pulling for you here! Please keep us updated and feel free to use this space if you need/want some more support.

If there are any of the questions above that you do not have the data/information on, just let me know and I'll share with you the data we have from the SUGAR Group.

ill little girl with lots of problems 51668 ill little girl with lots of problems 262775
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
snickmini29

snickmini29

PostSubject: Re: ill little girl with lots of problems   ill little girl with lots of problems Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 11:21 am

So she started not using either of her back legs last night, we are on our way to the Vets office right now ... This is really hard, they said she doesn't have HLP and that she has a blockage but not it is worse, but she seems a bit more chipper, she wanted to crawl around last night and hang out.

The Vet said that her blockage is causing the problem with her legs and so we have added a blood thinner to her meds. It is to be given 2x a day for 7 days as an injectable (doesnt seem to hurt) and we are going to reaccess her in 7 days. Her eyes are brighter and she is much more alert today and last night even with her legs, the vet noticed it right away and said she is responding to her meds well.

Thanks for the support and questions to look up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ill little girl with lots of problems   ill little girl with lots of problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ill little girl with lots of problems
Page 1 of 1