The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Found some food in my local pet store

Go down 
+3
Something_To_Believe_In
kyro298
YemeniLuigi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

Found some food in my local pet store Empty
PostSubject: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 6:15 pm

I found a package of Sugar Glider food, and it's from Pretty Pets. It was $9 a package (approximately $100 less than the ones from Pocket-Pets; they say it's a 2-year supply and it lasted me 6 months). This one looks like it'll last one or two months.
I found a site that has it, with reviews at the bottom. One says that it's perfect, and the other says it's horrible and almost killed it's Glider. The one that I found said "Brooklyn Zoo- $8.99" on the price sticker, so I'm guessing it should be good, but I'm scared it'll be just like the Glider who was almost killed by it.
Here's the link to it, because I still have some left over food so it'll be a while before I get more food.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12688
I just found another site saying that this food is top of the list, even above Glid-R-Chow, in extruded foods for Gliders. I'm not sure where to get my food from; what do I do?!
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Corn and sugar are two out of the first three ingredients. That's fillers/garbage. It's not nutritional. Are you feeding a recommended diet? Most of us make our diets following the recipe of common recommended sugar glider diets. I don't know that any of us purchase ready made food from a store for the exact reason I stated in my first sentence. Junk.
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 7:51 pm

I purchase my food from Pocket-Pets, but don't plan on buying from them anymore. I still have a lot more left, and she eats it and seems fine, though. But after I run out of that supply I want to buy a better brand or make a better diet. Does anyone have any specific diets I can feed it to make sure it gets all the nutrition it needs?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 8:03 pm

There is an entire diet section here on purpose. Read all of the diet info listed and decide which of these diet plans is best for you.

Remember what I told you on the phone about feeding a diet that is primarily pellets and the health risks that can pose. The reason that NO pellet diets are listed here as recommended is because we do not recommend them. We do not feel that they are best for gliders. I told you this on the phone and encouraged you then to read the diet plans here and to begin feeding your glider differently starting that night.

Please read all the diet plans and decide upon one that you can do. HPW, BML, Priscilla Price's diet, HPW complete, Lucky Glider's diet plan, etc. etc. All of these would be better than a dry pellet as your primary staple source.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Please take Val's advice.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 8:18 pm

Yeah; she has given me very good advice, but I can't seem to decide which will be best. I'll try one diet per night, and see which one she enjoys the most? Or would it be better to just pick a diet and stay with it, as the constant changes might cause stress or something?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Pick a diet and stick with it. Sundae will not be helped by switching diets every day.

Honestly, given your age and personality, I would check out HPW complete. You just mix it with water and feed it with fruits and veggies each day. I think that would be easy for you and something that you could keep up for a very long time.

Once you are older and less dependant upon someone else to get you to the stores and such, then you could look at switching to a diet that you like better (if you even want to switch at that time).

That's my 2 cents. It is not based on any experience with HPW complete, though. I don't feed that diet and have no experience with it.
Back to top Go down
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 8:27 pm

That last sentence bothers me. Right now, honestly, I have no-one else to trust on my Glider but you, and you haven't tried it. But since you're also the one telling me I should use it, I will. I'll try it tonight and see how she reacts to it.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 9:08 pm

I get that the last sentence could be disturbing. But, I also don't want you thinking that I'm suggesting it on experience. I feed a diet that most people find difficult and time consuming, so I know it is not practical for most people. HPW complete is very new. Plenty of people are feeding it and happy with it.
Back to top Go down
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 9:10 pm

It seems like a very good diet, as I've read in a lot of places that things like eggs and such are very good. But with the protein source and variety, it would be ok to sometimes give it cooked meat every now and then, and some Yougurt? Like how you said you like to change up what you give it to have some variety. Are those good ways to have variety?
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 9:20 pm

Chicken and yogurt are some of the things I give to add variety. Yes! They are fine. Found some food in my local pet store 24870
Back to top Go down
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 10:18 pm

Alright I'll just keep adding variety in, because if you think about it, we would be displeased if we had the same foods every day.
Back to top Go down
BindiAndScrubbie

BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 11:08 pm

If I were you, I'd stick with the HPW Complete. Being that you can't get back and forth to the store very often, this would be good for you. You can buy enough of the complete to last you a long time, keep it in the freezer. http://www.hpwplus.com/preparation_serving/preparation_serving.htm
There are fresh/frozen fruit and veggie recommendations listed under the Complete. If you have questions about the diet, you can email Peggy, her contact information is on the website. She's good at getting back with you.
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 12:43 pm

Alright, thanks.
Back to top Go down
FutureChef

FutureChef

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 11:28 am

yemeniluigi, i use the HPW Val is talking about. and i love it. it is really simple to make and will last quiet a while. the only problem i have found is it can smell a little funny while making it.

also i have a package of that dry food you were looking at. i bought it over year ago, i used it as snack food during the day but my gliders only ate the green and red(or orange) ones. so i stopped feeding that as snack food.
Back to top Go down
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Well if you say it's good, and it only smells while preparing it, I don't mind. My mother doesn't like bad smells as much as the next person does, but I won't mind because I'll be preparing it, and I myself have no sense of smell (kind of a good and bad thing).
Thanks by the way for the input; I'll see how Sundae likes it.
Back to top Go down
FutureChef

FutureChef

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 3:05 pm

i have 3, and it took my girls a couple days of feeding it before I noticed any significant amount missing, so don't be discouraged if they don't eat it right away.

oh, and its not really a bad as in gross smell, its just a different smell....not good, not bad, but def memorable
Back to top Go down
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Oh ok. I'll be sure to try it out, but first I need to get my hands on that HPW Plus Powder. After I get it, I'll update on how she reacts to it.
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 7:33 pm

I use the HPW Complete and we love it. So easy and the gliders clean their plates/dishes every night. :)
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
YemeniLuigi

YemeniLuigi

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 1:32 pm

So that's good to know. My Sundae really does love to eat really anything, except bananas, so I'm sure she'll love this diet.
Back to top Go down
bjve
Associate
bjve

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 5:50 pm

My gliders LOVE the HPW Complete! They prefer it frozen in cubes so they can lick it :o) Two of them like it on top of their veggie/fruit mix, and two like it on the side. It's a great diet nutritionally, easy to make, and they literally lick their HPW dish clean! I definitely recommend it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.highglass.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Found some food in my local pet store   Found some food in my local pet store Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Found some food in my local pet store
Page 1 of 1