The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SHARING STORIES

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tinkerbellesmomm

tinkerbellesmomm

SHARING STORIES Empty
PostSubject: SHARING STORIES   SHARING STORIES Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 1:57 pm

Members are encouraged to share stories of gliders who have experienced a parasite infection so that others can learn from it. Please share with us anecdotal information that is useful for owners or veterinarians, including:

* Symptoms you first noticed
* Tests vet ran to come to this diagnosis
* The treatment prescribed by vet
* Aftercare provided by yourself (include any help you received from community members if you like)
* Recovery information or notes that might be helpful to others
* The results of treatment.

Photos are encouraged IF they help to teach or provide examples.
Back to top Go down
BindiAndScrubbie

BindiAndScrubbie

SHARING STORIES Empty
PostSubject: Bindi's Case of Giardia   SHARING STORIES Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 2:59 am

After bringing Bindi home I had immediately started noticing that she had very loose stools, sometimes with a gel-like consistency. She was very lethargic as well but at the time, I chalked it up to her being sold to me too young and being on such a poor diet. I was not aware that gliders needed vet care. I was told that they were carefree animals with no known illness. After a week or two I started noticing that she was losing fur on her tail. At that point I got worried and found my first glider forum and started seeking advice. After being pointed to a glider vet in my area I took her in. She had a substantial amount of giardia. A fecal float and smear was done and the results were very prominent. My vet prescribed metronidazole for 7 days on, 7 off, and then another round for 7 more. After treatment we did a second fecal, it showed clear. To be on the safe side I re-checked a third time, 30 days later.

Here is a photo of what Bindi's tail looked like before diagnosis.

SHARING STORIES BindiTail

While during treatment, bleach and I were like peas and carrots. I bleached everything in the area daily. The cage, cage sets, toys, the entire glider room tile floor, food bowls, water troughs.

I would like to also add that you most certainly CAN get giardia from handling gliders. I very much believe that I got it from her in the early stages, pre-diagnosis. I was the only one in the house that got sick and I was also the only one in the house that handled her. If giardia can do what it did to me, I can't imagine what it would feel like for a tiny body of a glider. So to reiterate...wash hands, wash hands, wash those hands!
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
jungleflockmom

jungleflockmom

SHARING STORIES Empty
PostSubject: Re: SHARING STORIES   SHARING STORIES Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 12:46 pm

Humans and other animals can get giardia from any infected animal if they handle/touch the feces of an infected animal/person. That could mean that you step in soil where the infected dog poo has been picked up and then take off your shoes and later put your unwashed hand in your mouth. Sounds gross, happens easily.

Extrapolating out, dog parks might not be the best place to spend time w/o washing your shoes and dog's feet before getting in your car or entering your house.

(If this is in the wrong place, mods/admin, please move and let me know I did it wrong. Thanks)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SHARING STORIES Empty
PostSubject: Re: SHARING STORIES   SHARING STORIES Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SHARING STORIES
Page 1 of 1