The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SHARING STORIES

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
tinkerbellesmomm

tinkerbellesmomm

SHARING STORIES Empty
PostSubject: SHARING STORIES   SHARING STORIES Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Members are encouraged to share stories of gliders who have experienced an infection so that others can learn from it. Please share with us anecdotal information that is useful for owners or veterinarians, including:

* Symptoms you first noticed
* Tests vet ran to come to this diagnosis
* The treatment prescribed by vet
* Aftercare provided by yourself (include any help you received from community members if you like)
* Recovery information or notes that might be helpful to others
* The results of treatment.

Photos are encouraged IF they help to teach or provide examples.
Back to top Go down
jen102375

jen102375

SHARING STORIES Empty
PostSubject: Elvis Poss UTI   SHARING STORIES Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 9:00 am

I am starting this thread for my boy. (History) When Elvis first came to me, I noticed he was very different from other gliders. He was very small and had a special look to him. I like to look at it as down syndrome. He doesn't really run or jump and will litterally let you do what ever you want to him without any complaints.

Since I first got Elvis last year,
I noticed he would huff and strain to go pooh. I know this is common in some gliders. I took him to the vet for the first time, 3 days after I got him and he checked out fine. After a few months He would cry Everytime he went potty ( He never messed with his area) Back to the Vet it was then found that he has a deformed anal canal. It is flat instead of round. I feed him a special diet to keep his stool soft and it has been working some what. It breaks my heart to hear him cry it is almost like a crabbing noise but you can hear pain in it. Well day before last, I heard him cry really loud in the middle of the day I went to check on him and overnight he developed somthing. I thought it was an anal gland infection but now belive it to be a UTI. It was so swollen that it prolapsed his penis and it wouldn't go back in, he also has diarreha. Off the the vet. They put him under and did an x-ray to check for urine their was none, But the vet tried to extract urine any with no luck. So we decided to treat it as a UTI. (I want to stress that we have no way of knowing if that is what the actual issue is, seeing we couldn't get any urine). So we will call it a possible UTI. I will not list doages because I don't recomend anyone that is not a vet to assume to know what a problem is and try to treat their glider on their own ( THIS IS DANGEROUS AND COULD HARM OR LEAD TO DEATH IN YOUR GLIDER) I asked the vet for the convenia shot and she also put him on Metacam for pain as well as Panacur suspension for any poss parisites even though he tested negative. After the gas wore off he attacked his area so I had to put him in the e-collar. I got home and was able to take the collar off and watch him in a bonding pouch. He did go after his area a few more times but I was able to stop him without the collar, because of his nerological issues this was easier to do. This morning the swelling has gone down by 50% and his penis has retracted almost all the way back in. I am using KY jelly to keep his penis moist. Here are pics from yesterday I will get some more of how it looks today in a bit ( I want him to rest a while first).

Yesterday
SHARING STORIES Elvisutiprolapsedpenis
SHARING STORIES Elvispossuti

I have not had Elvis nutered yet, because I was scared to how he would react to the anastesia. But now that he did fine yesterday with the gas, He will be going in as soon as he heals.

Hear is him before happy and healthy.
SHARING STORIES Elvis2
Back to top Go down
http://www.thegliderboutique.com

SHARING STORIES
Page 1 of 1