INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

change in color

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FutureChef

PostSubject: change in color   Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:35 pm

So, I have finally gotten Stitch in the same cage as Innie and Audi, it has been a succsessful two weeks together :-) But i have noticed that all three gliders have lighten in color, the black stripe is as black as always but the grey areas have lighten up considerably. Has anyone else seen this occur?

Also Stitch had a habit of pooping in his food dish everyonce in awhile, he has done it once since being in the cage with the girls, is this a dominace thing? or just an uncontrolled action?

I have also noticed that Stitch tends to get to all of the foraging treats before the girls have a chance to, is there something that can be done other than hand feeding the girls theres?
Back to top Go down
FutureChef

PostSubject: Re: change in color   Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:45 am

I gave everyone a good looking over last night, and the girls look to have darkened back up but Stitch is still rather light.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate

PostSubject: Re: change in color   Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:58 am

If they are changing color that quickly, it would indicate that they are getting dirty somehow. When they groom, they can clean even the slightest dirt film off. If the girls darkened up, it is probably because stitch has been marking them.

Every glider will poop in the food dish if they are able to climb above it. You can use a glider kitchen, put the food dish under a hammock, use hanging food dishes, etc.

I personally think that all treats should be hand fed. They should only be getting one or two treats per day, so it is best to hand feed them so that you know exactly how much each is getting. To encourage foraging, place some of their regular dinner throughout the cage each night.

I'm thrilled that they are all living together!!! Yay!!!

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
~*~ Val ~*~
Passionate = one step down from crazy

We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures - Thornton Wilder

We are what we are, no matter what we might wish to be, or pretend to be. - Dean Koontz in The Face

My favorite color is orange - I'm the normal one.
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
FutureChef

PostSubject: Re: change in color   Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:42 pm

Aside from bathing Stitch, is there anything i can do for him?

I use the dishes that hang on the side of the cage, and i usually put them as high i can...some one did it again last night lol.

I do hand feed almost all treats, except for the ones i put in the foraging things. but i had never thought about putting some dinner in the foraging cups.
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate

PostSubject: Re: change in color   Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:01 pm

I'm sure you know this, but don't bathe him. They'll keep each other clean. Marking is natural to them and they'll just keep doing it.

For the foraging cups, I put their fruit in there. Sometimes much loved veggies, too.

-----------♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥-----------
Shawna--momma to lots of fur-kids, 2 skin-kids and a beautiful grandbaby! Plant your hope with good seeds, don't cover yourself with thistle and wees--Mumford and Sons--Thistle and Weeds

Shapes on a Page, my next movie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
Usha77
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: change in color   Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:10 pm

I use hanging dishes scattered throughout my quads' cages and sometimes I watch as a glider gets a piece of food out and then turns around and eats it with their bum hanging over the dish. Wonder if they're turned so they can see predators or something? But, yeah...poop happens.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Usha77
BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: change in color   Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:15 am

I use a glider kitchen and there is never poop inside of it. On top yes, but never inside. Most of their messy dinner goes inside every night but I do place their 'non messy foods' (the not so juicy ones like green beans and stuff) in foraging cups around the cage.

Here's what my kitchen looks like. You can find these sized bins at Target. I used a dremmel to get the entrance hole nice and smooth.

You can also buy those igloos at Petsmart and Pet Supermarket. They sell them in the ferret/hamster section. Just plop them right over their dishes if you feed them on the floor. That should work too. ;)
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
FutureChef

PostSubject: Re: change in color   Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:31 am

Actually, I didnt know we weren't supposed to bathe them, lol, but i never have, it just seemed it would go as well as bathing a cat.

I put veggies in the foraging cups and they went as fast the mealies :-)

Does the glider kitchen encourage oh whats it called....when one glider eats all the food, or doesn't let other eat?
Back to top Go down
BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: change in color   Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Food aggression? It never has here but that doesn't mean it couldn't. You could try it and see. I put one bowl on each side so they aren't all hovering over one bowl. I'm also working on a double decker glider kitchen, we'll see how that fares. Even though there is no food aggression here, to see 4 gliders in there at once makes me feel like they are cramped, hence my double decker kitchen plan.
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
FutureChef

PostSubject: Re: change in color   Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:12 pm

The problem that I've run into with the hanging dishes, is that Stitch tends to eat all the good stuff from all three cups (one cup per glider) and the girls seem to wait for him to finish eating before they do.

Last edited by USMom on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : capitalization, punctuation)
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR

PostSubject: Re: change in color   Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Your girls are too polite and not aggressive enough...lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Usha77
FutureChef

PostSubject: Re: change in color   Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:05 pm

I think they might just be a bunch of weenies!

Last edited by USMom on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Capitalization, spelling)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: change in color   

Back to top Go down

change in color
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1