The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What to Bring & Weather Info

Go down 
+5
WintersSong
queenduck
Usha77
Spoonfulofsugars
Something_To_Believe_In
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

What to Bring & Weather Info Empty
PostSubject: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:35 pm

As you are packing for your trip to Amarillo, here are a few things for you to keep in mind:

The weather here ranges from 50-75 during the day (today was 77, but tomorrow is expected to be 58, so you just never know). Once the sun goes down, temps range from 20-40, so prepare to be chilly in the evenings if you go out. It is pretty much windy here ALL the time, so take that into consideration as well.

Amarillo is a pretty small town, but does have a few things you might want to plan to see if you are staying late or arriving early. The continent's 2nd largest canyon is located just a short drive from Amarillo. Palo Duro Canyon is beautiful and has many opportunities for hiking, photography, etc if you are into that kind of thing.
The Cadillac Ranch is a must see. Who doesn't want to see Cadillac's burried hood first into the ground in the middle of a corn field in Texas?
The BIG TEXAN boasts that patrons can receive a FREE 72 oz. steak if you can eat it all in one hour. Of course, anyone trying is placed on a stage and given a bucket (just in case) so that everyone can watch them succeed...or fail. The gift shop at THE BIG TEXAN is the best place to get Texas themed gifts and souvenirs if you are looking.
And, for those of you that do not think they are real..... you are pretty much guaranteed to see a tumbleweed or two if you get just a ways out of town (esp. if you are planning to visit Val's house on Friday).

Don't forget to bring these few things with you:'

* your glider's pertinent information (age, weight, past health issues, etc) so that you can complete our surveys.
* Money for eating dinner on Saturday and for raffles, etc
* Your camera
* comfortable pajamas.
* Extra room in your suitcase to take home all the wonderful things you will win and/or buy

Can't wait to see you all!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
Spoonfulofsugars

Spoonfulofsugars

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:51 pm

OK...the canyon is a MUST!!!!! Guess I'm bringing the good camera too!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.glidersandgear.com
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:16 pm

Oh yeah, the canyon would be awesome to visit!

Oh, Val! I just remembered, I have to change the number of gliders needing food and vet visit. I now have 13! What to Bring & Weather Info 469611
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
queenduck

queenduck

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:17 am

It's Texas at Val's.

Bring hats, gloves, bikini's, shorts, sunscreen, boots and a raincoat.

You just never know what your going to get.

Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:26 am

That's the Truth, Alicia!!!!
What to Bring & Weather Info 907329

Brenda, I made the changes for you. You are all set.

My mom says I have been misleading..... which was not at all intentional.
So, here is the correction: When I say windy here all the time, I don't mean a little breeze. I mean WINDY. It is not at all unusual for us to have constant 20-40 mile per hour straight winds that last for days and days. WINDY! W-I-N-D-Y. Not breezy. The kind of wind that blows trees down. Already we have had 3 days this year with 60-70 MPH straight winds.
Now, our regular wind is steady at 5-7 miles per hour, but it has been much stronger than that for days now. Anyway, it has been pointed out to me that for some people, a constant wind like that is very unusual, so I'm just mentioning it in case it happens that next week is a windy one for us. I wouldn't plan on wearing a skirt or anything like that when down here. LOL
Back to top Go down
WintersSong

WintersSong

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:46 am

My packing list thus far....

PJs for each day of that I'll be there (though that may change, my mother is telling me that I shouldn't run around in pajamas all week, especially if I'll be going out anywhere)

and a swimsuit -- which I don't see on your "to bring" list. But.... hotel + indoor pool.... if it's in working order, I am absolutely making time for some swimming, no matter how cold it may be outside.

Really though, Val, you should see how overpacked I am already.
One standard carry on and one large suit case. I am trying to narrow it down to just one suitcase as its only for 4 nights and 5 days -- I just keep thinking, what if I need this, or that?!

I don't travel well. I want my pillow and big comforter with me, but with flying, it looks like both will be staying at home.
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 1:11 am

Thanks, Val!!

Always better to be over prepared than under!
Back to top Go down
calamityannie

calamityannie

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:55 am

Yay! I'm here in Austin already visiting my Gram and will be hopping a flight up on Thursday morning and getting in around 11:00.
I brought a little of every kind of clothes but I never worry about packing to much. There is a walmart where ever you go, right?
Val- I understand "windy" very well. Where I live is all flat corn fields and the wind is probably about 10mph everyday...all the time. I own many many hoodie shirts due to the annoying "wooshing" sound in my ears when trying to do any work outside!
Sarah- I got my swimsuit too. I think the girl said there was a hot tub. I may have to combine that with the free happy hour :)
I would love to see the cadillac ranch and the canyon if anyone else is wanting to go.

Can't wait to see all of you guys! Fun times ahead What to Bring & Weather Info 798356
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:17 am

WHOOO HOOOO! I'm so excited. I have so, so, so, so, so much to do between now and Wednesday! Then, I will relax a bit and have fun with you all!!!!
Back to top Go down
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:59 pm

I've been trying to pack for a few days now. I keep adding things to the suitcase. I was hoping for a small carry one but when I priced out shipping stuff it was cheaper to pay the airlines to check a bag. I've got everything but blanket and pillow. Not sure how that is going to fit in the current suitcase might have to go up another size. I do have PJ's,clothes, swimsuit and all the essentials plus the stuff keeps asking me to bring. LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepamperedglider.com
Spoonfulofsugars

Spoonfulofsugars

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Jen and I leave tomorrow morning! WE are doing a lay over at my daughters near St Louis and then heading on from there Wednesday morning!!! I can't wait... I soooo need a vacation! I have so much to do between now and tomorrow morning! I have NOTHING packed...it's all sitting in a pile WAITING to be packed! I haven't even packed for the two gliders that are coming along! UGH!!! ...and yes, the roller blades are "in the pile"
Back to top Go down
http://www.glidersandgear.com
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Yay!! I'm leaving Wednesday morning and I have gotten nothing done except a few loads of laundry washed! I'm about to make my list of things I need to do before leaving (sooo much!) and then my list of what to pack for myself and another list for the gliders' stuff. I am so excited!

**Roller skates & camera are needed for sure!
Back to top Go down
WintersSong

WintersSong

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 11:51 am

Leave it to me to get sick right before I fly out..
Just a cold, but..ugh. By the way -- totally not contagious, according to the Dr. (went in this morning), so at least that's a good thing.
Adding some emergen-c, cough drops, and meds to my packing list.

I had all my stuff fitting into one carry on before, but I'm back to adding things now. I want my comfort items when I'm a bit under the weather...
Don't be surprised if you see me lugging two suitcases of random comfort goodies with me.
Back to top Go down
USMom
Associate
USMom

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Roller blades, check.
Safety gear, check.
Health insurance card, check (Val, it's in the front of my wallet, if you have to use it).
Clothes, shorts, t-shirts, sweater and coat, check.
Oil changed, tires rotated, tank's full, hitting the car wash on my way out.
Empanadas, check (now, lets hope I don't forget them in the freezer!)
Gift, not quite check.
Money, check.
Glasses, check.
Sunglasses, check.
Back to top Go down
http://www.marykay.com/shawnagrupe
queenduck

queenduck

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Can we keep Val off roller blades? Her butt has issues with the ground and I am not sure they make saftey equiptment for butts or Betts.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 8:14 pm

LOL
I have NO plans to roller blade. I can't even imagine the disaster that would await me. Nope. My feet will stay firmly on the ground (here's hoping!)

I did forget to remind everyone to bring your gift for the secret suggie exchange. Don't forget them if you signed up!
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 8:16 pm

What about quad skates? Can Val try those? I'm bringing my quads!

Rental car (2011 Kia Forte with only about 3400 miles on it and a ginormous trunk, CD player and bluetooth - was talking to Tianna through my speakers the whole way home from my parents'...hehehe), check

CDs, check

Dang, that's all I've got packed in the car so far, better get a move on! Gotta charge all my ecig batteries and fill all the carts as I'd be charged an extra $250 if I smoke in the rental car! What to Bring & Weather Info 553241

Val, did I sign up for the gift exchange? Just checking!
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Yes you did. If you need me to make you a gift, say the word and I'll put something together for ya tomorrow.

I just talked with Jen and she and Celeste are half way here!!!!! Everyone who is arriving tomorrow is going to be getting in at about the same time. Shawna wants to go out to a local restaurant here for her birthday dinner tomorrow, so everyone prepare for fatty, greasy, fried, YUMMY food!!!! (so sorry for those of you who won't be here yet).

I'm very excited - and very exhausted. Stupid lupus is really trying to win the battle with my body lately. So far, my positive attitude is winning. Pray that continues!
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 10:41 pm

Uh, yeah...unless I can get a hold of a vendor there or on the way there...ohhhh, Alicia...lol. Knew I was spacing something! As long as the gliders and myself get there, everything else is buyable, right? If you could put something together for me - just in case, that'd be awesome. Hope it's not too much trouble - I'll pay you when I get there. Thank you, Val! *hugs*

So sorry I'll miss the bday dinner! :(

Gliders temp cages are all set except for their wheels, water bottles/dishes, and the pouch they'll be in tomorrow! As soon as I finish packing for myself, I'll get everything out into the car and then tomorrow, I'll just have to grab the stealths and water stuff and wash the gliders' food dishes and put them all in the car, put the gliders in their travel cages and head out! Oh, better pack up the bonding pouches, too! Eeeeeee!!! Still gotta try to get a decent night's sleep, too. lol
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Not too much trouble. I'll grab something out of my pre-made/vending box for ya. If you show up with something, then I will put it right back in to be sold. Easy peasy.
Back to top Go down
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Yay! Thank you!! Okay, shutting the computer down so I can pack it. See you all Thursday afternoon!
Back to top Go down
calamityannie

calamityannie

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 5:56 pm

I'm getting all (re)packed here in Austin and ready to head out tomorrow morning!
My flight gets in at 11:20.
I am trying to find out how to catch a shuttle or something from the airport to the hotel but now I just found out that check-in is not until 3:00...
what am I supposed to do until then? scratch Is there going to be anybody at the hotel before then??
Back to top Go down
queenduck

queenduck

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 8:04 am

Quote :
Gotta charge all my ecig batteries and fill all the carts as I'd be charged an extra $250 if I smoke in the rental car!

UMMMM Brenda?

As for a gift, give me a call Brenda and I'll lead you in the right dirrections/if you can't find anything. My premade stuff is in your bedroom I think it's in a carpet bag/it's kind of red. Pick what you want. Let me know if you can't find it.
Back to top Go down
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 8:56 am

Carrie - give us a call when you get in. We can have someone come get you at the hotel.

There is a shuttle from the hotel to the airport and vice-versa.

CALL ME on my home phone and we will get you taken care of.
806-274-9177
Back to top Go down
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:36 am

On my wat to airport now. See you all around 4:30 TX time
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepamperedglider.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to Bring & Weather Info   What to Bring & Weather Info Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to Bring & Weather Info
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next