The Sweet Spot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Sweet Spot

INFORMATION concerning sugar glider health and husbandry matters

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jackie Chan - 4 years later

Go down 
+7
Usha77
BindiAndScrubbie
srlb
sugeebaby
BCChins
WintersSong
Something_To_Believe_In
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Something_To_Believe_In
Associate
Something_To_Believe_In

Jackie Chan - 4 years later Empty
PostSubject: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 12:26 pm

It is hard to believe that 4 whole years have flown by since the day I first picked up this "injured" glider from a basement in a tiny town on the Ohio-Pennsylvania border. And, it is equally as hard to believe that it has already been 4 years!

For those who need a little history: Jackie Chan was a rescue who came to me with what turned out to be a severed spine. We are still not sure why it is that Jackie has survived, but he HAS survived and thrived and stolen the hearts of many. Jackie Chan - 4 years later 890490 Jackie Chan has very limited movement below his shoulders. He IS able to use his front legs and is REMARKABLE in how he compensates for the loss of his back legs. He has no bowel and bladder control and only minimal ability to move his back lets at the hips. In addition to these physical limitations, Jackie suffers with pretty severe anxiety and is prone to self -mutilation. His SM episodes have resulted in many surgeries and amputations, including: traumatic castration and subsequent cleaning up of the site, removal of both heads of his penis, tail amputation and multiple surgeries to close a wound he kept opening up. His anxiety has resulted in an overgroomed head for 3 solid years now.

Through the years, Jackie Chan has inspired me and been the catalyst for research and study into topics such as HLP, paralysis, anxiety, enrichment, Self Mutilation and wound healing. Jackie Chan was the primary motivation for founding the SUGAR Group to gain more education and scientific research on sugar gliders.
Jackie has also taught me the value of each life. He has forced me to make hard decisions and to evaluate where I stand on euthanasia. He has challenged my natural instincts to "protect" him as he wants so badly to never be treated like he is "limited" physically. He has taught me that gliders will only be as "handicapped" as we make them be, and that when we allow them to soar, they will literally learn to jump, even if they are paralyzed.

Jackie Chan has brought many in this community together despite our different views or personalities. He has just as much caused rifts between a few of us that might never see bridges repair. He is loved by many and pitied by others.
But, one thing is true through it all - once you MEET Jackie Chan, you are changed somewhat. You see a glider who LOVES life, who WANTS to live and who is totally and completely in love with his momma and vice-versa. This little guy has stolen my heart and will forever and always be the reason that I want to find answers to all of the injuries and illnesses that plague our gliders.

I can't say enough about him. If you haven't gotten to meet him yet, you should ask for some time with him if you ever see me at a gathering. Not so that I can show him off (for I will not and I don't allow every Tom, Dick and Harry to have time with hime), but because YOUR understanding of what a glider can overcome will change once you meet him.

And, if you own a good video camera, you should bring it to the RRRoundup so that we can finally have some video of this boy in action to share with the community.

And now, cause I know some of you will never forgive me if I don't post pictures, here are a few from our time a few nights ago in the tent.

Here is how Jackie's legs look when he is in a hurry to check something out:
Jackie Chan - 4 years later JackieChan9

His severely over-groomed head:
Jackie Chan - 4 years later JackieChan122

Just all around cuteness as he plays in the tent (and he plays HARD)
Jackie Chan - 4 years later JackieChan14
Jackie Chan - 4 years later JackieChan13
Jackie Chan - 4 years later JackieChan11
Jackie Chan - 4 years later JackieChan5
Jackie Chan - 4 years later JackieChan7

4 years. We never imagined he would live this long. I certainly never imagined he would change my life like he did.

Back to top Go down
http://gliderpals.weebly.com/
WintersSong

WintersSong

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 1:40 pm

Such an inspirational little fellow you have there, Val... Have you any idea how old he is?

I hope I get a chance to see this handsome guy at the RRRoundup.
Back to top Go down
BCChins
Associate
BCChins

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 2:00 pm

Hello Jackie Chan and you sure do look like you are having a great time. I love all of the photo's but the 5th picture down best.

Thank you for sharing his story Val. Please give Jackie a bit of a snuggle from me.
Back to top Go down
sugeebaby
MENTOR
sugeebaby

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 2:35 pm

I can't believe it's been four years. Way to go Jackie Chan. seems nothing is going to stop him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thepamperedglider.com
srlb

srlb

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 3:43 pm

HI YA JACKIE BOY!!!! Love the photo of you being the * gymnast* that you are!!

I love this little boy to pieces. In people, my hero is my nephew Jordan, who has CP and the doctors said he would never walk...he has proved them wrong on that and so many other things and does not want to be treated differently.

Why do I bring this up? Because in Gliders, JC is my hero of gliders. I have seen him in action several times and he reminds me so much of my nephew. Just step back and let me try they say...if I fall, watch me get up and try again. Love me with no pity, just love me because Im me.

Thanks for the photos and the update on the Chan man Val.
Back to top Go down
http://www.critterlove.com
BindiAndScrubbie

BindiAndScrubbie

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Well that is a wonderful 4 year update. He is such an inspiration, I just hope one day I get to steal a cuddle with him. Jackie Chan - 4 years later 947565
That fifth pic really shows his dexterity! Love it.
Back to top Go down
http://SpoiledRottenSuggies.com
Usha77
MENTOR
Usha77

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 6:25 pm

He truly is an inspiration! Jackie Chan - 4 years later 890490
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Usha77
trigger

trigger

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 10:59 am

Jackie is a trooper but Val you forgot to mention what a little "player" he is. He chases ALL the ladies furred and skinned alike! LOL
Back to top Go down
GliderNursery

GliderNursery

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 4:32 pm

I've never heard the entire Jackie Chan story, but that is rather inspirational! I love the pictures, as one thing I have asked so many times, "Is he able to get around?", "Can he lead a normal life?".

All I can say now is "A picture is worth a thousand words!"
Back to top Go down
kyro298
Associate
kyro298

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 8:29 pm

When I first started the forums, he was the talk of the town and I was fascinated by him and his story even then. There are miracles every day in every form! That being said, there are also angels that help those miracles along sometimes. Just sayin'...
Back to top Go down
http://www.StageItRedesignIt.com
GliderNursery

GliderNursery

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 9:37 pm

kyro298 wrote:
When I first started the forums, he was the talk of the town and I was fascinated by him and his story even then. There are miracles every day in every form! That being said, there are also angels that help those miracles along sometimes. Just sayin'...

Jackie Chan - 4 years later 179825
Back to top Go down
jacknsally

jacknsally

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mobmilli/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later   Jackie Chan - 4 years later Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jackie Chan - 4 years later
Page 1 of 1